The next day we left bright and early with our new friend, Kai. We were out to conquer the Ring of Kerry. I’ve read that it is one of the Top Ten Scenic Drives in the World. The world. Now… Top Ten Scenic Drive and you want me to keep the post short? Hm. I’ll try! Here we go:
On a Top Ten Scenic Drive you:
1. Come upon rundown castles in people’s backyards.
2. Come upon very cool, very old bridges. Which are one lane and scary. But pretty.
3. You stop to get your photo taken so you can prove you’ve been on a Top Ten Scenic Drive. You get your photo taken on rocks that have been there forever and then you’re there for one minute and then you’re gone. And you wonder if you really matter in the scheme of things. But if we hadn’t stopped for that one minute, maybe we would have put into place something dire and drastic.
4. You and Travel Buddy try not to get carsick in the backseat on the scenic roads.
5. You admire the scenic nature of the scenic nature.
6. You get your picture taken with a statue of Charlie Chaplin. Of course!
7. You stop and let the boys climb on the random, rundown castles. Boys will be boys.
8. You feel very much the fool for being hooked into paying 3.50 Euro to see cliffs. Long story, but I’m A) pretty sure I got charged more for being from Chicago and B) when your Travel Buddy has to go, she has to GO and it’s worth every little cent. (Oh, and in the distance, you can see the Skellig Islands. Ever heard of them? Very cool. One is called Skellig Michael and has a monastery on it that you can visit in the summer months. Skellig Michael is the farthest one on the right.)
9. You find only one cafe open in the entire town on the Top Ten Scenic Drive if you’re Top Ten Scenic Driving in the off-season. But, hey, it was the best chocolate filled croissant I’ve ever had. Maybe this angry man came in the off-season and really, he was just hungry.
10. You stand in front of old scenic houses. In your head and heart, you’re thanking the Lord for bringing you safely along a windy, one laned Top Ten Scenic Drive. Maybe you can live to see Top Ten Scenic Drive #2.