Remember those books about Choose Your Own Adventure where you decided how you would respond and then “turn to page 64 to see if the shark bites you”?
I’ve had several minor parenting conundrums (how do you spell that?) lately and thought I’d open up to my dear blog readers to see what you would suggest. For once in your life, I actually want your opinion! How fun is that?
So, I thought of you today when 9yo screamed and began writhing in pain. Here’s what happened:
1. Girls get out their sewing kit they got for Christmas and begin working on a project they’ve developed.
2. Girls get distracted and go eat a snack.
3. Intelligent Mom says don’t forget you left your sewing stuff on the living room floor! You better pick that up!
4. One hour later, 9yo screams and writhes. She’s stepped on a needle and it’s gone about half an inch into the ball of her foot.
5. I pulled it out. Gross. I’ve never felt a needle move through flesh before. This is why I’m not a doctor. Well, that and my inability to comprehend math and remember long lists of things.
What would you do? Do you give an “I told you so” lecture? Or just give her sympathy and tell her about the time you stapled your thumb? Do you take her to the doctor for any sort of shot? Should I be worried about the injury? Would you have pulled it out? Would you want Oberweis after a long day of parenting like I do, but won’t and then be sorta cranky and yet slightly proud that you didn’t give in?