I like cooking, actually. But I don’t like the daily grind of it -who does? It’s no fun getting involved in projects and things I have to do and having to grind to a halt to make a delicious, kid-approved, somewhat healthy meal. There, I said it. Out loud.
I don’t always like making dinner for my family.
But you do what you gotta do and what I gotta do is get a good, somewhat healthy meal on the table. And here’s my latest favorite:
It’s so simple, you probably already have this one in your repertoire.
Bonus – You can add spinach to it and you can’t taste it and they’ll eat it. Yay!
What Spinach? Tortellini
2o oz package of fresh tortellini (I use Bertolli brand)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu)
3 or 4 Aidell’s Chicken and Apple Sausages OR 1 pound beef smoked sausage
1 pkg Cream Cheese
1 pkg Chopped Spinach, thawed.
1. Cut up the sausage into bite size “coins”/slices. Add to a skillet and begin heating through.
2. Bring water to a boil and make the tortellini according to package directions.
3. When sausage is heated through, add the jar of spaghetti sauce.
4. Drain tortellini and add to the sauce/sausage mixture.
5. Add the thawed spinach.
6. Add about 1/3 cup of the cream cheese (this is more to taste – I add more; you could add less. You’re just trying to make the sauce a little creamier.)
7. Stir until the cream cheese is melted and you’re done! Sprinkle a little shredded parmesan cheese on top if you wish.
Et voila! You have dinner on the table. Add some rolls and a salad and it’s a complete meal, ready to serve to family or guests.
Or both, I guess.
I timed it last night and it took me right about 15 minutes.