*Fun Field trip for Friday Family Fun Night
Mr MIP and I have little plans we make just talking out loud and when we can make one of them come true, oh, it just feeds my little plan-tific nature. We finally made one come true last Friday night and I thought I’d tell you about it, because it would be a fun option for yourself and whomever you’d like to take with you on your trip!
1. We hopped the BNSF Metra Line and rode to Downer’s Grove. MIP’s Travel Tip: If you go on Saturday or Sunday, your kids would be free and your ticket would be $5 for the weekend pass.
2. Exit train at Downer’s Grove and walk across the street (north) to Aurelio’s Pizza. Aurelio’s has been around for 50 years in the Chicagoland area and serves thin crust pizza with a sweet tomato sauce, and the best pizza cheese I’ve had. Also, a fun fact to know, is that Mr MIP played on a Little League Team sponsored by Aurelio’s and has always had a sweet little sentimental spot for them. Mr MIP’s sister had her rehearsal dinner at an Aurelio’s. There are only a couple little tables inside and a few little plastic patio tables outside to eat at, but you should be able to find a spot.
3. After we ate, we walked over to Every Day’s a Sundae, where we had huge cones for the kids and sundaes for the adults. The ice cream was very good and the portions were generous. Yum!
4. We then walked around and waited for the train and came home. Ah, Mr MIP and MIP give each other high five for an outing well-done.
Here are other ideas for you if you go:
– There is the Tivoli Theater right next door to Aurelio’s. You could catch a movie. (Right now they’re playing G Force on Saturday and Sunday only.)The Tivoli Theater has been around since 1928 and was one of the first theaters to be built to show “talkies.” In our family, it’s known as the place we went to see 3-2-1- Penguins when Daddy did some sound/foley work for it.
-You could also eat at the 2 Toots Grill. Haven’t ever had it – but it’s one of those places where the food comes out on trains. It’s right there by the sundae shop.
-There’s also a Starbucks and an Anderson’s Bookshop within walking distance.