A couple weeks ago, I asked you what your favorite Christmas songs are… but I never introduced you to my embarrasingly embarrassing Christmas Favorites List. So, without further ado, MIP’s List:
1. How can it be Christmas without the Carpenter’s? The whole album is great, but “Merry Christmas Darling” is my first choice.
2. Amy Grant’s latest Christmas Collection has some of her older songs on it, but a couple new ones that are good… worth it to get this album if you like her. “I Need a Silent Night” is my new favorite of hers.
3. Any Windham Hill collection is great…just be aware that they recycle older songs and put them in “new” collections. So make sure you’re buying an album with music you don’t already own. That being said, Carols of Christmas Volume 1 and Volume 2 are great to play during dinner all through December (and November…and possibly October, if you dare).
4. Michael Buble has a collection out this year. Get it. Enough said.
5. Harry Connick Jr has great Christmas albums out, but this year’s is the best so far (if only I had thought to look earlier – he’s playing in Chicago tonight and tomorrow! Boo-hoo! I would have gone in a heartbeat.):
6. James, James, James. How you can sing those songs.
7. And, most embarrassing of all: This album brings back a veritable Santa-sized Sack O’ Childhood and Teenaged memories, it’s not even funny. I burned my fingers making our family’s traditional hard rock candy (which we made every Christmas) so many times to this song, that when I hear the bass singer sing those mournful tones, my fingers immediately start hurting. Ready? Don’t laugh until you’ve heard “The Carols Those Kids Used to Sing”:
The Statler Brothers Christmas