This is Mr MIP, myself, our dear friend, Dean (actually, he was our friendly waiter), and our friends, Tiffany and Craig. About a month ago, C & T moved away. We didn’t see them a lot face-to-face, but I considered them one of my favorite Sweatshirt Friends. You know, some people make you feel like you’ve worn high heeled shoes or a tie all day long… other people make you feel as comfortable as if you were wearing your favorite sweatshirt.
When I went in to interview for a job, the person I interviewed with was Craig. He mentioned knowing my family since… well, forever, and told me he had actually been named after my grandpa. I kinda hoped that meant I was a shoo-in for the job! So, a lot of time has passed since then, I had the job, moved on to other jobs, but we kept our friendship.
Originally I was going to write a funny poem in honor of them, but I couldn’t make it funny enough. So here is a list of things in my life that are a direct result of their friendship.
1. I know that #48 won at Richmond tonight. I even watched 20 laps of the race.
2. I use “Yikey frikeys!” in day-to-day conversation.
3. I know there are three parties in American politics. Republican, Democratic and
4 . Craig became my boss and I learned how to scan the checks and try to balance as quickly as possible so we all could go home on time. I remember feeling awful when I couldn’t balance and we had to stay late.
5. We share an interest in music and because of Craig, I have a respect for The Who, Alison Krauss and yes, even Larry Norman (well, maybe respect is a little much for Larry).
6. Whenever I cut my kid’s hair, I call myself Tiffany and they giggle and think it’s the best. (Tiffany is an awesome hairstylist)
7. We always sign our Christmas cards with a special note from our cat to their cat. And they think that’s perfectly acceptable.
8. We’ve enjoyed The Chieftains, Blackhawks, Baker’s Square, the Claddagh Too Loud Restaurant and New Year’s Eve Eve with them.
9. There are three people in this world that make me laugh so hard I hurt. Tiffany is one of them. (I won’t name the other two, because I want them to keep making me laugh and not get uptight about staying in the Top Three Make Me Laugh category.)
I think it’s inspiring and cool that they moved away to follow a dream! And I publicly wish them the best and hope they get those dream jobs! (And I hope their son Dean does well in college. )