Like, I’d love to sit and chat for a while, but I’m totally on a deadline!! I have a free-lance job that was given to me a while ago and it’s taken me two months to decide that I should do it and now it’s due next Tuesday. Oh, the pressure! I love it! Let me tell you why (And, just a warning, I’m going to say the word I a lot in this post. I am really sorry about that. Truly.):
1. People with deadlines are important. I don’t know why, philosophically, I believe this. But I do. I am a much better person when people known as Bosses tell me to get this done by 5:30. Dude, I am so there for ya. And, no, none of you are my boss, so don’t even try.
2. As a stay-at-home mother, you really don’t have many “work” deadlines. Other than the deadline of changing the diaper before the green poo leaks through the clothes. And, really, who can feel good about themselves when their main reason for existing is to stop the green poo? Huh… I just described some of your jobs, didn’t I?
3. Deadlines are appointments. I have mentioned my love of paper products. Paper products include calendars. What exactly do I have to write on a calendar? “January 14th: 10 a.m. Get dressed.” And, again, as a SAHM, there’s been weeks where my one appointment was to get to Target for toilet paper. Let me pencil that in…
4. I can be a procrastinator and deadlines are a necessity. For instance, right now, I’m reaching my arms across the work to be done in order to type on a blog that doesn’t really matter.
5. I’m a lazy perfectionist, but also very competitive. So if there’s no end goal or no deadline, I don’t really have much interest in it.
Do you work better with deadlines or without? What’s your biggest deadline facing you right now? Do you think the Cubs are going to win the World Series??