This is a guest post by Kelli’s brother, Jeff
After last season I renounced my Chicago Cub fandom. No more Cub dumbness for me. After all, I’ve now lived in Wisconsin for 22 years, much longer than any time in IL. So I decided to cheer for Wisconsin teams.
My sister maintains her Cub fandom as do others in my family and that’s fine, they can all attest that I have not attempted in any way to persuade them. I’m being faithful to my home state.
I have given up on the Cubs. I wish them well, I hope my family gets to escape their gloom soon. I will root for them if they ever make it to the World Series. But I just don’t want to do it anymore. Here’s my top nine reasons the Cubs are the most inept sports organization of all time. Hands down. I am also maintaining obedience to all rules my sister gave me.
1. The Cubs were the last major league baseball team to adopt the minor league system. This hampered their club for many years. Only recently have they begun growing their own talent. This is stupidity at work.
2. No lights in Wrigley Field until 1988. Forget your sentimental stuff, this is just plain dumb business. The money to buy a decent franchise was passed up for romantic notions. Gag.
3. College of Coaches. The Cubs have been expert at picking inept coaches. The only thing worse than inept coaches are having a number of them running a team at the same time. What are these people thinking?
4. Harry Caray. I mean, seriously. I felt covered with spit just listening to him on the radio.
5. The tendency to trade young talent for has-been old guys. The regularity of this practice is stunning.
6. The tendency to hang on to “fan favorites” that are now too old and inept for about 13 years too long.
7. The tendency to drop “fan favorites” that are actually good players in about 23 minutes.
8. Dusty Baker.
9. The ability to consistently lock guys down in long contracts even though they have no concept of what a “strike zone” is. Todd Hundley was a catcher who couldn’t catch, throw, hit or run. Ah, but he was signed because he was a left-handed hitting catcher. This is the logic behind most of their personnel decisions.
10. You now have the chance to offer the best other reason the Cubs are the most inept baseball franchise in history. Have at it.