You may be asking yourself why I feel like Marie Antoinette. I watched this movie a few weeks ago and loved the scenes where Marie (Played by Kirsten Dunst) is choosing new fabrics and shoes and the song “I Want Candy” is playing… and thought of that scene as my mom and I shopped at the local outlet mall. I tried my best to Shop Intentionally -and had some success. Here are my Shop Intentionally Rules:
1. Know what you’re looking for. Make a list, if you have to.
2. Try things on. This is such a basic rule; but a rule I hate. I hate trying things on. But today I tried it alllll on.
3. Don’t buy it unless you love it. I tried on two shirts that I liked, but wasn’t sure if they were “right.” So I put them back.
4. Buy in outfits. Today I was looking for a nice, put together casual outfit for summer. I found cute khaki capris (isn’t that fun to say? “cute khaki capris”) and didn’t stop looking until I found two shirts that can be worn with them. Did I stop there? No, I Intentionally looked for a necklace to complete the outfit and walked out of the Ann Taylor Outlet with cute khaki capris to wear to a cute kebab cookout.
5. And here’s the latest fashion rule I’ve learned:
-Shirts with short sleeves should hit you either 1 inch below the bicep, or 1 inch above the bicep. If it hits you right at the bicep, it will make you look wider than you are.
6. And my Number ONE rule for Shopping Intentionally is: Never buy clothes in a store where you are pushing a cart.
There you have it! Go Shop Intentionally and Enjoy!
Ed. Note: Ref. Rule #5 – You have to have a bicep for this rule to work. So get your arms moving and use a great toning exercise DVD! My favorite is Kathy Kaehler.